Thursday, June 17, 2010

Walk Like an Egyptian

Oh how I wish I could make my blog site play that song for you! Its good to be cheesy sometimes, you know? ;)
This week I have been volunteering at my church's Vacation Bible School as the photog - each child gets to take home pics of themselves being all "Egyptian" at the end of the week. (The theme of the week was "Egypt: Joseph's Journey from Prison to Palace" you know, Joseph. . . that guy with the amazing technicolor dreamcoat . . .) Its been a week of face paint and costumes and games and learning . . . so fun to see the kids (and grown-ups!) really come out of their shells and have a great time. I too, was dressed up like an ancient Egyptian (and I have the amazingly resilient smeared black eye makeup around my eyes to prove it). . .I got a few pointers from my authentic Egyptian hubby on what to wear and how "Say Cheese!!" in Arabic.


One of the coolest activities that the kids got to be involved with was in the "Sandal Shop". Each child got to decorate a pair of flip-flops that will be sent to an orphanage in Ethiopia later this month. Its really touching to see the kind of effort that kids put into something when they know it is going to a good cause and will help someone else. My son was so excited to decorate his sandals for "a little boy with no shoes to play in on the playground" in Ethiopia.


The directors and all the many volunteers deserve some major props.  It was a bustling, crazy, hilarious, heart-warming and memorable week . . . I love my life.

"Walk like an Egyptian . . ."



No comments:

Post a Comment