Thursday, May 13, 2010

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes.


It finally dawned on me today what kind of a week I am having. It has been hard to define, but somewhere between the ecstasy of Mother's Day and the doom of the pediatrician's waiting room from (well, you know, that place that gets really really hot and rhymes with "bell")  it hit me; I am having a Dr. Seuss week.

And its not just because my house is five different colors right now.
Although it is.
And I'm pretty sure now that renovation projects are not for the faint of heart! (don't worry, it'll turn out beautifully. . .when its all done. . .I hope. . .)


And its not just because I was the surprise reader at my son's kindergarten class this week, and got to read "Horton Hears a Who" - funny accents and all. ;)


And its not just because I was in that doctor's waiting room from "bell" for an hour with a screaming baby and a 6 year old who was literally starting to dismantle the furniture . . . although that is when Dr. Seuss' "The Waiting Place" came to mind.



I think its because, well, I gotta admit - its the little things that inspire me. The "small things", if you will . . .
"And that Yopp . . .
That one small, extra Yopp put it over!
Finally, at last! From that speck on that clover
Their voices were heard! They rang out clear and clean.
And the elephant smiled. 'Do you see what I mean? . . .
They've proved they ARE persons, no matter how small.
And their whole world was saved by the Smallest of All!' "
-Horton Hears a Who

And don't hate. I know I'm a small-ish person myself. This is not a "praise be to the smallish people of the world" post. But . . . it . .  kind of is ;)

Reading Dr. Seuss books with my kids is not only fun and silly and memorable and tongue-twistingly delightful. Dr. Seuss reminds me to enjoy the everyday wonders.  His books remind me not to live in a Waiting Place,  but to relish the moments. Not waiting for the "next" thing - the next day, the next purchase, the next. . . house? ;)

"You can get so confused
that you'll start in to race
down long wiggled roads at a break-necking pace
and grind on for miles across weirdish wild space,
headed, I fear, toward a most useless place.
The Waiting Place . . .
for people just waiting.
Waiting for a train to go 
or a bus to come, or a plan to go
or the mail to come, or the rain to go
or a phone to ring, or the snow to snow
or waiting around for a Yes or a No
or waiting for their hair to grow.
Everyone is just waiting.
Waiting  for the fish to bite
or waiting for wind to fly a kite
or waiting around for Friday night
or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake
or a pot to boil, or a Better Break
or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants
or a wig with curls, or Another Chance.
Everyone is just waiting."
- Oh the Places You'll Go

I want to live in the moment, and enjoy the chaos of life. Motherhood can teach you that. ;) I feel like my kids get bigger every time I blink. Eden is speaking now, and Ethan is reading now! Its amazing, and I don't want to miss a thing.

"Step with great care and great tact
And remember that Life's 
a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft.
And never mix up your right foot with your left."
-Oh the Places You'll Go


 I want to make time to stop and smell the roses, or even . . . a very small clover.


You never know what wonders you might find. ;)

"So gently, and using the greatest of care,
The elephant stretched his great trunk through the air,
And he lifted the dust speck and carried it over
And placed it down, safe, on a very soft clover."
-Horton Hears a Who

No comments:

Post a Comment