Thursday, May 20, 2010

Glitter in the Air

When I was a freshman in college, one of my best friends coined the nickname "Glitter" for me. . . for both "good" and "bad" reasons.

"Good" because I was perpetually looking on the bright side of things, full of faith and ideals, bubbly personality, could win the heart of almost anyone I wanted, always ready for a laugh, inherently trusting of others,  spontaneously ready to party at a moment's notice, smiling all the time (ok, so its kind of hard to hide my big teeth anyway . . .) Passionate. Inspired. Charismatic. Treated like a princess everywhere I went.

"Bad" because I was at times fickle - in love one day, breaking up the next. Ambitiously running so fast in one direction without thinking enough about where I actually wanted my destination to be, or who I might hurt along the way. Arrogantly believing in my own very limited world view. Stubborn. Trusting. Too trusting. Maybe gullible is a better word. Maybe even naive. Well, ok, definitely naive.

You get the idea. Glitter.

Living in and experiencing life in NYC for almost eight years definitely wore off the naivety. I am anything but gullible now. And trusting? Trusting is something I have to force myself to do nowadays - I question everything: from people's motives, to the way the media reports the news, to the ingredients listed on the back of my kids' Mac 'n Cheese box . .  and all things in between. And some of that is good, I think.

But I question whether I want the "good" side of the Glitter phenomenon to get worn off by maturity and experience. I'm pretty sure that Someone Important said that Love always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres . . .

Loving and Hoping. Not as easy as my younger Glitter self would have assumed. But also, in my experience, letting go and loving extravagantly has also been the most rewarding. There is nothing in the whole wide world like knowing that someone loves you completely. Really sees you. Loves you with all your flaws hanging out all over the place first thing in the morning. And still wants to be with you.

I was driving through crazy traffic in midtown today. The radio was on, blaring out a slew of over-played pop song selections that just added to the background noise of a busy day. And then. You know how some songs just really touch you, and everything else seems to fade away? This was one of those songs, for me, anyway.

Don't get me wrong - I like some of Pink's music, but I'm not, like, a Pink groupie.

But this song was different, and I love the soulfulness in her voice.

Enjoy the song, its beautiful.

And don't be afraid to get yourself some Glitter in your life.

                                            ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~

http://www.metrolyrics.com/glitter-in-the-air-lyrics-pink.html       (click on Listen Now)


"Have you ever fed a lover with just your hands?
Close your eyes and trust it, just trust it
Have you ever thrown a fist full of glitter in the air?
Have you ever looked fear in the face
And said I just don't care?

It's only half past the point of no return
The tip of the iceberg, the sun before the burn
The thunder before lightning, the breath before the phrase
Have you ever felt this way?

Have you ever hated yourself for staring at the phone?
Your whole life waiting on the ring to prove you're not alone
Have you ever been touched so gently you had to cry?
Have you ever invited a stranger to come inside?

It's only half past the point of oblivion
The hourglass on the table, the walk before the run
The breath before the kiss and the fear before the flames
Have you ever felt this way?

La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la

There you are, sitting in the garden
Clutching my coffee, calling me sugar
You called me sugar

Have you ever wished for an endless night?
Lassoed the moon and the stars and pulled that rope tight
Have you ever held your breath and asked yourself
Will it ever get better than tonight? Tonight"





No comments:

Post a Comment